Wednesday, November 17, 2010
11.17.10 - On the up and up
Liam is recovering well from whatever respiratory infection he had. We still don't know what the test results revealed, but thankfully we seem to be on the other side of it now. If only we can keep it this way for the next few weeks!
We have very busy weeks ahead. I have an appointment scheduled with a feeding clinic on the 29th that I am really excited about. I have heard wonderful things about their program and it's an all-inclusive, intensive program. I am at the point right now where I can tell Liam is ready to start oral eating more and drinking, but I am TERRIFIED to handle things on my own. We have been introducing some puffs and a few bites of soft small table foods occasionally which he is handling great. But I know I really need to work on the drinking thing, but I have NO idea where to even begin. We only had a short month or so where we were offering Liam the sippy cup, but since then have stopped due to fears that he was still aspirating. I feel really guilty for not moving forward with the thickened liquids and being more aggressive with his therapy. But to be honest I am SCARED to even try anything. I guess being in the hospital for suspected aspiration pneumonia is a cause of my worries....It is going to be great to have a new evaluation of where he is at and hopefully I can get the training I need as well!
We also have Liam's synagis on the 29th coupled with a check up with the pulmonologist to hopefully get a clearance for his cath that Thursday, Dec. 2. And I'm not sure if I mentioned this in an earlier post or not, but we did get a chance to speak with the cath doctor, Dr. Lashus, for a while prior to his scheduled cath last week. After having reviewed Liam's case, Dr. Lashus thinks that his stenosis will not require immediate intervention. He said he would be very surprised if his findings revealed the need for an immediate repair. Although he did say it is always a possibility because the Echo is limited in the details it can provide (especially for this particular issue), he said other cases similar to Liam's have been able to postpone intervention for a period of time, whether it be 6 months or a year. He said the cath would give the cardiologist better information for a baseline comparative, so they could monitor Liam and decide when the best time for surgical intervention would be. This was a blessing to my ears. With all of this happening so close to the holidays, I was fearing we may be having Christmas in the hospital this year. Although we know it is still a possibility, we are encouraged that there is a good possibility we have some more time before another surgery is needed.