Sunday, October 4, 2009

10.01.09 and 10.02.09 - Settling in at Medical City Dallas

Liam arrived at Medical City around 4:00 am on Thursday morning. Dustin rode in the ambulance with him from Baylor to make sure he arrived safely and to see where he would be staying.

Dustin and my dad made trips back in forth between Medical City and Baylor, between me and Liam. Lord bless Dustin for having to take care of two of us. I can not imagine how hard that would be to have the two people closest to you in two separate places, me trying to recover and Liam being prodded and poked and hooked up to machines. But it only reminded me of why I married him and I love him more today than I ever thought possible.

I arrived at Medical City at about 11:00 am Friday morning. My beautiful baby boy looked so normal and so healthy, it was hard to imagine he had anything wrong with him. We share a room with another baby heart patient who recently just had surgery. It was such a blessing, as they have the same cardiologist and heart surgeon as we do, so they have plenty of NICU experience and great wisdom to share with us.

Right now the Doctors are keeping Liam alive by giving him a drug called Prostin that keeps his PDA temporarily open until they have a plan for surgery.

We met with the surgeon, Dr. Eric Mendeloff, at 3:00 that afternoon, and he described Liam’s condition and explained there will be two surgeries. The first surgery which will be Monday, October 5th at 7:30 am. His procedure first involves opening up his chest and putting in a BT Shunt so that they can take him off the medication that he is taking to keep the PDA open. This will then allow the PDA artery to close.

The second surgery will be done later next year when Liam is between 9 to 12 months old and has had time to grow and get stronger, so that his heart is ready for the larger surgery which will build the valve in his right ventricle that feeds his lungs and patch the hole between his left and right ventricle.

No comments :

Post a Comment